Monday, August 11, 2014

Closer Than Vein

 
Have you ever experienced a moment in your life when death is so close you can actually feel its presence? Ever had a feelings of hopelessness so great, all you had in mind was families and friends thinking that you will never see them again?
 

Though death is so imminent, yet it is so subtle. It looms around you, hides behind your back, and tries to communicate with you. Tries to remind you how fragile life is. And sometimes, it even touches you.

Three months ago (6th of May to be exact) I experienced a rather serious accident at the gym, while doing my daily routine workout. My left lung suddenly collapsed, and I could hardly breathe. I was literally gasping for air like a dying fish; totally helpless, for almost 15 minutes before I could get to the hospital. That ride to hospital was the longest ride in my life. And I was literally dying.

I can vaguely recall how desperate I was as I begged my friend who was driving the car to drive faster. That man was a hero, and I owe him a life. He got me to hospital just before the oxygen in my lung are all used up. "Five more minutes, and you'll be gone.." said the doctor.  It was totally a close call. Seriously man, real close.

As I woke up at my bed in the hospital the next morning, I couldn't actually believe that I actually survived the night. All praise to Him The All-Merciful, I was still alive the next day. I couldn't describe how grateful I am to survive the night. It is beyond words. 


For the next three consecutive days I was placed at the critical ward, heavily supervised. Some of the beds in the ward were the deathbeds for a lot of patients there. I have witnessed several deaths on the bed around me, for almost everyday. Again, death loomed just around me.

There are many things that I have learned from the tragic event but these two are golden; that death are never too far from you, and that there are always people who care for you even when you're not noticing. 



This piece of paper keeps me strong. Thank you guys.

Thank you Allah, for this event. Though its tragic, it taught me a lot.


"And We have already created man and know what his soul whispers to him, and We are closer to him than [his] jugular vein." (Quran 50:16)