Monday, November 25, 2013

LGBT - Is It Okay?


I don't think I need to clarify to you what is LGBT in the first place. It is, by the way,  a more decent way to refer to the community of homosexuals. And there has been a lot of debate over this term nowadays; some agree to accept them as part of the community, some disagree. And some others would grab popcorn and just enjoy those people arguing over a group of homosexuals.

Me? Lets cut to the chase; I don't. But I am not radically oppose them in the community. And I have my own reasons why.

First let me just emphasize that I just don't agree to accept the idea that they should freely practice their homosexuality in the community. I do accept them as part of the community, as we cannot deny the fact that they are out there, but I don't like the idea of accepting the homosexuality as something normal. I believe it is not.

There are some claims, however, about a study that shows that homosexuality doesn't just exist amongst human but also in several kinds of animal. I had never came across it but for the sake of argument, lets just assume there is and it is true. But does it render that homosexuality is normal? Well, its tempting, but no. Just because there exist some homosexuality cases in nature doesn't mean we as a human being should accept it as normal in our eyes too.

In the same sense, well, to practice incest is also in nature. Animals, they do it all the time. They don't even have any idea who is legitimate to mate up with and whose not. They don't even care. -_-

But does that mean we have to accept it in the community too, and accept it as normal all the way? Unequivocally, no.

In this case, I would say its all about moral values, ethics and being 'human'. And talking about values, we should relate them closely to the religion we strongly beholden to, be it Islam, Christian, Buddha, Hinduism etc. Me as a devout Muslim, I shall and will always follow everything that He had set as a guidance for us pertaining to 'values'.

Allah (S.W.T) has made it clear to us Muslims about the matter of human values and even, homosexuality (as we were discussing). A translation of the Holy al-Quran, chapter 26 verse 165-166: "Of all the creatures in the world, will ye approach males, and leave those whom Allah has created for you to be your mates? Nay, ye are a people transgressing (all limits)!". Clearly, being homosexual shouldn't be acceptable in the community according to Islam, as it is considered as crossing the line. It is not the path that is meant for as a normal human being, and therefore should not be viewed as normal.

There are several other places in the Holy al-Quran that mentions about how homosexuality is a profound wrongness. But wait a minute, you might think why the heck am I bringing all of this verses up. You might say that I shouldn't have taken this matter into a religious context. Well, where else should I take it when it is about values and ethics? And even if you're not a Muslim, you should also agree that homosexuality is unethical because there's no religion that accept homosexuality to be normal. (correct me if I am wrong)

And to legalize it in our country, I don't think it is a wise idea considering that Malaysia is an Islamic country, with Islam as its official religion and the majority of Malaysians are Muslim. Plus, if it is allowed in our country, it will looks like we somehow advocating it, don't you think?

I didn't say that we should oppose and detest these kind of people. Yeah, some of us might feel disturbing to even set eye on them, with some of them may be dressing like transvestites and act inappropriately but nonetheless, they are part of the community too. It is utterly unwise to antagonize them and look at them as the outcast of the society. They are truly not.

The way we should treat them shouldn't differ with how we treat other straight people. Embrace them and talk to them. We can guide them back to who they really are, rather than keep claiming that "homosexuality is in the blood" and therefore we are the one who should change and follow their lifestyle. No way. -_-

By the way, as this is a very heavy subject to reach to a point where everyone would agree upon, therefore you don't have to nod to everything I have stated above. Everyone have their own thought; maybe some of you don't agree with part of what I am saying, or maybe all of them, and that doesn't matter. This is my personal thought about this. You're free to think in the opposite way. :)



No comments: